Here’s a quick and easy recipe for a cheese, onion and potato pie. A great quick meal that’s especially suited to us university students!
Jus-Rol puff pastry sheets X2
500g cheese (whichever cheese you prefer)
750g onions (diced)
750g potatoes (diced)
Butter (just a tiny bit to line the dish)
Milk or Beaten egg (for a glaze and to help join the pastry)
Salt (to taste)
- Allow the pastry sheets to defrost a couple of hours at room temperature.
- Peel and dice the onions and potatoes.
- Put the onions and potatoes in a large pot of water (the water should be slightly higher than the onions and potatoes). Add a pinch of salt to the water and allow to boil, the onions and potatoes will go soft to the touch when they are done.
- Whilst the onions and potatoes are boiling, get a medium sized oven-proof dish and lightly grease with butter. Un-roll one of the pastry sheets and peel off from the baking paper. Use this to line the dish and cut off any excess pastry.
- Once the onions and potatoes have boiled (and are soft), drain off the water and allow to cool slightly. Whilst the mixture is still warm, mash it up with the cheese added. If the mixture is too ‘tough’ add butter until it is at the desired consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Put the mixture into the pastry lined dish.
- Un-roll the second sheet of pastry and peel off from the baking paper. wash the edge of the pie with milk or beaten egg and use the second sheet to form a lid on the pie and once again cut off any excess. Press down the edges with your thumb or a fork to ensure a tight seal.
- With any excess pastry create any desired pattern on the pie and wash all over with the milk or beaten egg. Using a fork create some ventilation holes on the top of the pie.
- Put it in the oven at 200°C for 30 mins, or until golden brown.
I hope everyone loves this recipe as much as I do! Please get in touch with any suggestions or further tips and let me know how it goes for you all!